UPDATE February 2023 – streams assignment added!
UPDATE June 2022 – I have just published my Java 17, Java 11, Advanced Java 8 (1Z0-829,1Z0-819,1Z0-809) course. Lambdas and Streams are contained in that much larger course. Please check out the new course as it may be much better value.
UPDATE April 2022 – lambdas/method references assignment added!
This course is a systematic approach to explaining in both notes format and code examples, lambda expressions and streams in Java. All the code samples are included.
- Functional Interfaces
- Lambdas and their relationship to Functional Interfaces
- Lambdas in code using a custom Functional Interface
- Lambdas in code using the pre-defined API Functional Interfaces:
- UnaryOperator and BinaryOperator
- final and “effectively final”
- Method References:
- context and it’s effect in understanding method references
- Creating streams
- Terminal operations:
- Intermediate operations:
- filter(), distinct(), limit()
- map(), flatMap(), sorted()
- Primitive streams:
- Functional Interfaces
- Mapping between primitive streams
- Mapping between primitive streams and Object streams and vice versa
- Parallel streams
This course is geared towards Java Certification i.e. the Predicate lambda sections would suit Java 8 OCA (1Z0-808). The remaining lambda sections and the streams sections would suit both Java 8 OCP (1Z0-809) and Java 11 (1Z0-819). This course explains the concepts through small, simple, targeted code examples.
For those who don’t know me, my “Complete Java 8 OCA (1Z0-808) Java Certification Course” is, at the time of writing, the highest rated Java 8 OCA course on Udemy. I am a lecturer since 2002 and have taught the OCA and OCP syllabii since 2013 on behalf of a highly regarded software company. On completion of the courses with me, graduates then face the company’s own internal Java Certification exam (similar in style to Oracle’s). I have no visibility into the questions they will face. It is a 3 hour long intensive exam. The company are delighted with the pass rate (100% since year 1).
I love teaching and this course has all my experience in explaining lambdas and streams in Java. I am delighted that Enthuware (the excellent Java certification training tool), have, in their explanations, linked to my YouTube channel.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in learning Lambdas and Streams (the Functional Programming aspects of Java 8).
- Intermediate Java. Whereas my “Java 8 OCA (1Z0-808) Course” starts at the beginning, this assumes that the learner has a reasonable level of Java.
- To make understanding lambdas easier, a familiarity with anonymous inner classes would help. That said, lambdas are contrasted with anonymous inner class syntax in the course.
Last Updated 1/2023